Chocolate Gluten Free Donuts with Peanut Butter Frosting
Looking for a Saturday morning breakfast treat? Or, a fun desert to bring to the neighbors? These soft, cake-like gluten free donuts are not only moist and delicious; they also sneak in 6 servings of greens, protein, vitamin and minerals in every batch!
Chocolate Gluten-Free Donuts with Peanut Butter Frosting
Makes: 36 mini donuts or 12-15 full-sized donuts, depending on pan size
- 1 serving Vega One Chocolate
- 1 cup gluten-free flour
- ¼ cup cocoa powder
- 1 ½ Tbsp ground flax meal
- ¼ cup coconut sugar
- 1 tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp baking soda
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 ¼ cup unsweetened dairy free milk, warmed
- 6 Tbsp unsweetened applesauce
- ¼ cup coconut oil, melted
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 Vega Maca Chocolate Bar, chopped (or mini chocolate chips)
- 1 Tbsp coconut oil
- 3 Tbsp natural peanut butter, melted
- ⅓ cup (or more) powdered sugar
- ½ tsp vanilla extract
- ½ cup almond milk
- Preheat oven to 350F and grease your donut pan
- Combine dry ingredients (Vega One, flour, flax meal, cocoa powder, coconut palm sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt) in a medium size mixing bowl. Whisk to incorporate
- Combine wet ingredients (dairy-free milk, coconut oil, vanilla, applesauce) in small mixing bowl. Whisk to incorporate
- Fold wet ingredients into dry ingredients being careful not to over mix.
- Add chopped Vega Maca Chocolate Bar or mini chocolate chips to batter. Mix again gently and let batter sit for 5 minutes.
- Spoon batter into greased donut pan
- Bake for 15 to 25 minutes depending on size of donut pan.
- In a small bowl combine coconut oil and peanut butter. Warm in microwave (or melt on stove) until softened. Stir to combine evenly.
- Add vanilla and powdered sugar to the peanut butter mixture and stir to combine.
- Slowly add almond milk 1 teaspoon at a time until desired consistency is achieved.
- Spoon glaze onto donuts or place in shallow bowl and dip tops of donuts. Feel free to get creative and add sprinkles, chopped Vega Maca Chocolate Bars or chocolate chips for decoration!
This recipe has been provided by Kim McDevitt at Vega. To see the original and for more delicious recipes using your favourite Vega products, visit the Vega Recipe Centre.
Born from the belief that you shouldn’t have to choose between clean, plant-based nutrition and on-the-go convenience, Vega is a premium brand of convenient, plant-based, real-food alternatives. They strive to give you the knowledge and nutrition to help you be better on your own terms—one small change at a time.