We all know it’s true—nothing works for restoring the body and mind like a restful night’s sleep! Unfortunately, getting the recommended 7-8 hours of restful sleep each night (or any night) can be difficult.
That said, many essential oils can be used as an effective natural sleep aid. And what have you got to lose by trying? Each of these recipes is designed to fit easily into your nightly routine, promoting a longer and deeper night’s sleep.
Relaxing Bath Salts
Wind down from the stress of a busy day at work or school with a relaxing aromatherapy bath. Inhaling our Anxiety Rescue Blend will help to reduce your stress level, and the combination with epsom salts will totally relax the body. This recipe makes a large batch which can be stored in your cupboard, tightly sealed and away from moisture.
- Glass mason jar (17 oz)
- 5 ml The Aromatherapist Anxiety Rescue Blend (approx. 150 drops)
- 17 oz Epsom salts
- In a mortar & pestle (or a bowl with a spoon) add your Anxiety Rescue Blend slowly to your Epsom salts, stirring as you go.
- Mix thoroughly, ensuring the essential oil is evenly distributed throughout the salts.
- Use approximately 2 tbsp per bath.
Sleep Well Pillow Spray
Our Sleep Well Blend works like a charm—seriously! The soft aroma will lull you to sleep and keep you relaxed all night long so you can wake up feeling refreshed. This is a must-try. Note that Sleep Well is also a great nighttime diffuser blend!
- 35 drops The Aromatherapist Sleep Well Blend
- 2 oz filtered water
- Small squirt of natural, unscented dish soap
- 2 oz spray bottle
- Place your Sleep Well drops and a small squirt of soap in your empty spray bottle. The soap acts as a natural emulsifier to help the oil and water mix.
- Fill your bottle with water and shake well.
- Spray around your room before bedtime.
The Ultimate Night Serum
This Night Serum does it all—it nourishes and revitalizes the skin, calms the mind, and promotes restful sleep. We only have one warning…you will get hooked!
- 25 ml rose hip oil
- 4 drops The Aromatherapist Jojoba Neroli Blend
- 4 drops The Aromatherapist Indian Sandalwood Essential Oil
- Add your essential oil drops directly to your bottle of rose hip oil.
- Shake well and gently massage into your face and neck before bedtime.
Children’s Calming Room Spray
This spray can be used at bedtime (or any other time for that matter!) when you’re hoping to calm your little ones calm down. The combination of lavender highland and roman chamomile will help to calm hysterical emotions and promote relaxation for the whole family.
Pro tip: This spray makes a great travel companion—it’s carry-on approved and oh-so-helpful on the go.
- 20 drops The Aromatherapist Lavender Highland Essential Oil
- 100 ml The Aromatherapist Roman Chamomile Hydrosol
- Add your Lavender Highland drops directly to your bottle of Roman Chamomile Hydrosol.
- Shake well and spray away.
Children’s Calming Bubble Bath
This bubble bath is an all-around crowd pleaser—it’ll kickstart the bedtime wind-down while providing a gentle, skin-soothing body wash!
- 500 ml Oneka Unscented Shower Gel
- 5 ml The Aromatherapist Roman Chamomile Essential Oil (approx. 75 drops)
Bonita is trained as an Herbalist and Aromatherapist. She’s worked in the fields of herbal medicine, organic perfumery and natural skincare for over 30 years. She’s been supplying The Aromatherapist, her line of certified organic essential oils, carrier oils and hydrosols to Canadians since 1993. Bonita lives and works in Guelph, Ontario.