Knowing what Sun protection to use for yourself and your family can be a difficult task with all the options available. You want to make sure everyone is protected from harmful UV rays without having to be exposed to harmful chemicals.
Our Sun Care Shop can help you navigate all the Green & Natural options, Top Brands, EWG Rated choices, formats and more!
Babies have soft and delicate skin that need protection. However, Health Canada does not recommend using sunscreen on babies before 6 months old, instead physical sun protection is your best bet. Keep newborns out of direct exposure by keeping them in the shade or use UV protected clothing and large brim sun hats for protection.
6 months old +
Once your child is 6 month old, right into the toddler years, a mineral based sunscreen is your safest option. This formula is all-natural and formulated without harsh chemicals. And because we know how hard it can be to get little ones to stay still during application, we have a number of application formats to choose from, including sprays, lotions and even sticks that the little ones can apply on their own.
Our Favourite Mineral Sunscreen Formats:
- Spray – This is by far the easiest application method for those fussy and squirming toddlers. Just a quick spritz and they can rub it in on their own and be off playing in a matter of seconds. Some of our faves at Well.ca are All Good SPF 30 Kids Sunscreen Spray , Sun Bum Mineral SPF 30 Continuous Spray, and, new this year, Think Sport Spray!
- Stick – Stick Sunscreens are great for giving the littles some independence. They can try rubbing it on their face and arms and it’s also super easy to toss in their bag for school or daycare (with no leaking)! Try Thinksport Kids Safe Sunscreen SPF 30 for a water resistant and dermatologist recommended sunscreen stick. We also love Badger SPF 35 Zinc Kids Face Stick as it goes on clear and doesn’t leave a white cast.
- Lotion – A classic sunscreen format, lotions provide great coverage for even the trickiest areas. Some of our fave kid-safe mineral sunscreens are Thinkbaby Sunscreen SPF 50+ and Green Beaver Natural Mineral Sunscreen for Kids SPF 40 among many others.
Don’t forget the suncare for the Adults in the family. You need to stay just as protected as the kids, and have just as many options to choose from:
- Face – Facial SPF is a must, all year round! The sun’s rays can be just as damaging in the winter as they are in the summer. Try adding a moisturizer with SPF into your daily routine like Neutrogena Bright Boost Moisturizer with SPF 30. And for those days when you need to re-apply on-the-go a great facial sunscreen is COOLA Face Mineral Sunscreen SPF 30. It’s antioxidant infused formula is nourishing to the skin as it soothes, hydrates and protects skin!
- Body – A backyard pool day or a picnic in the park with the kids this summer will require some full body sun protection. Sticking to more natural options, Sun Bum Mineral SPF 50 Moisturizing Sunscreen Lotion has a zinc-based formula that is non-greasy and protects from UVA/UVB rays. Australian Gold Botanical SPF 50 Mineral Lotion is both sun protection and skincare with an eco-conscious formula.
- Sport & Waterproof – Sunscreen for an active lifestyle is important, you don’t want your sweat to remove all your sun protection. We turn to Australian Gold SPF 30 Continuous Spray for a quick drying and sweat resistant formula.
Taking advantage of outdoor time is going to be more important than ever before this year; visit our Sun Care Shop for all of your Sun protection needs, including Make-Up with SPF, bug repellant, After-Sun and more!