Healthy Pantry Autumn Refresh
Before the school year gets underway, you’ll want to make sure that your pantry is stocked. Not only will these staples help you while packing cold or hot lunches and snacks for your family’s school and work day, but you’ll also be able to reach for easy and healthy faves for dinner.
Stock your fall pantry with:
- Ingredients such as Nuts to You Organic Fair Trade Tahini and Eden Organic Canned Garbanzo Beans for making homemade hummus and whole grain crackers such as Mary’s Organic for dipping.
- Whole grain cold cereals with minimal sugar such as muesli and organic varieties
- Whole grain hot cereals – instant and stove-top varieties.
- Organic preserves for breakfast or dessert.
- Whole grain rice, pasta, millet, quinoa, barley, kamut, bulgar, farro and freekeh for casseroles, side dishes, and stir fries.
- Quick meal solutions for busy days such as instant rice and pasta dishes or canned chili and premade soups.
- Multi-grain bread mix like Bob’s Red Mill 10-Grain for toast and sandwiches.
- Nut and seed butters to pair with crackers, veggies like celery and fruit like apples, bananas, melons, and peaches.
- Nuts and seeds: walnuts, almonds, sunflower seeds for breakfast toppings, salad toppers, stir fries, homemade snack bars, smoothies, and trail mix.
- Sea veggies such as Sea-Snax products.
- Replenish your spice rack with seasonings and marinades to make delicious dinners.
- Healthy juice boxes to send to school.
- Canned beans, lentils and bean mixes for soups, stews, salads and burritos.
- Organic dressings or mixes to spice up salads.
- Milk alternatives to pour over cereals, add to smoothies or hot beverages or just to drink on their own!
- Canned tuna or salmon to easily add protein to sandwiches, snacks and salads.
- Flaxseed, chia seeds, hemp hearts and protein powder for adding to smoothies, yogurt, cottage cheese, salads and shakes.
- Family favourite mini and animal cookies made healthy.
- Canned and jarred sauces and condiments such as salsa, pasta sauce, olive oil, and vegetable broth.
- Veggie burgers for quick dinners and healthy beef burger alternatives.
- Baking staples such as dried fruit, baking chocolate, cocoa powder, chocolate chips, vanilla extract, honey, and coconut or whole grain flour.
- Quick baking mixes for when you’re short on time.
- Organic applesauce, granola bars and fruit bars for packing in lunches or for after-school snacks.
- Pizza crust mix for whipping up a Friday night favourite.
- Organic popcorn kernels for a quick movie night snack.