These 4 Simple DIY Holiday Gifts Use Our Favourite Essential Oils
If you’re feeling uncertain or uninspired about what to give your Secret Santa, your partner, or that tricky relative, a DIY gift may be the perfect option! DIY gifts are personalized, thoughtful, and they show the recipient that you care. You’ll also have leftover ingredients to make yourself something as well, so it’s a win-win!
Plus, it doesn’t have to be as hard as it sounds – read on for proof.
DIY Soothing After Shave or Beard Mist
Let’s face it, men can be difficult to buy for. Sometimes, the key to great gift-giving is to find something they’ll use, but that they might not treat themselves to—like a premium, all-natural after shave or beard mist!
The combination of Sandalwood and Frankincense is grounding for the mind, hydrating for the skin and smells unbelievably good. And any remaining essential oil works well for room diffusion.
- 100 ml Frankincense Hydrosol
- 15 drops Indian Sandalwood Essential Oil
- 15 drops Frankincense Essential Oil
- Add your essential oils directly to your bottle of Frankincense Hydrosol. Shake well.
- Use as an after shave directly on the face and neck to prevent ingrown hairs, razor burn and dry, flakey skin.
- Use as a beard mist by spraying directly on the beard to clarify and hydrate the skin underneath while leaving the beard smelling (and looking!) great.
DIY “Treat Yourself” Bath Salts
For that person on your list who never seems to stop—remind them to unwind and treat themselves with these DIY bath salts. This recipe will make one large batch, or many smaller batches, the choice is yours!
- 150g Fine Dead Sea Salt
- 5 x 30ml Jars (or 1 x 150ml Jar)
- 90 drops Anxiety Rescue Blend
- Mortar and Pestle
- Combine your Anxiety Rescue Blend and salt in the mortar and pestle, mixing thoroughly. Transfer into the jar(s).
- These can be added to warm baths (approx. 1 tbsp per bath).
DIY Rose Lip Balms
If you’re looking for something special to give to a group of friends, extended family, colleagues or classmates, these lip balms are the perfect thing! Made with a combination of hydrating carriers and rose essential oil, you’ll want to snag a few of these for yourself as well! Use to nourish your lips and help prevent cold sores.
- 10 g Shea Butter
- 5 g Beeswax
- 125 ml Jojoba Oil
- 30 drops Jojoba Rose Blend
- Lip balm tubes
- Over a double boiler, melt your Shea Butter and Beeswax until liquid.
- Take off the heat and stir in your Jojoba Oil.
- Allow the mixture to cool down slightly (but not begin to harden) before adding your Jojoba Rose. Stir thoroughly.
- Transfer your mixture into empty lip balm containers, secure the lids, and set them aside (standing upright) to harden fully overnight.
DIY Jasmine Rose Body Spray
The ideal stocking stuffer for anyone on your list who deserves to be spoiled! The combination of Rose Bulgarian Hydrosol and Jasmine Essential Oil creates a luxurious, exotic aroma. And you’ll have enough ingredients to spread the love to a few lucky people on your list, as well as yourself!
- Place your Jojoba Jasmine into the bottom of your perfume atomizer bottle.
- Fill the rest of your bottle with Rose Bulgarian Hydrosol. Shake well.
Bonita is trained as an Herbalist and Aromatherapist. She’s worked in the fields of herbal medicine, organic perfumery and natural skincare for over 30 years. She’s been supplying The Aromatherapist, her line of certified organic essential oils, carrier oils and hydrosols to Canadians since 1993. Bonita lives and works in Guelph, Ontario.