DIY Essential Oil Recipes to Get You Through Cold & Flu Season
You’ve heard the recommendations—eucalyptus for a chest cold, Thieves for immunity—but what actually makes essential oils an effective form of natural medicine? Essential oils are volatile, meaning they can be quickly and easily absorbed by many systems of the body, particularly through inhalation.
Your DIY Pantry for Cold & Flu Season
- Aloe Vera Gel – anti-inflammatory and hydrating
- Beeswax – anti-inflammatory, antibacterial, antiviral and moisturizing
- Cold & Flu Blend – antiviral and decongestant
- Dead Sea Salt – detoxifying and relaxing
- Eucalyptus Globulus Essential Oil – decongestant and energizing
- Frankincense Essential Oil – immune stimulating and strengthening
- Immune Boost Blend – immune strengthening and energizing
- Jojoba Oil – moisturizing carrier oil
- Lavender Highland Essential Oil – calming and relaxing; promotes restful sleep
- Rose Bulgarian Hydrosol – purifying room spray base
- Rosemary Highland Essential Oil – decongestant and detoxifying
- Shea Butter – super moisturizing
- Thieves Blend – antimicrobial and immune stimulating
Due to their volatile nature, essential oils can travel directly to viral infections, within mucus, in the respiratory system. Using the right essential oils when you’re sick can help to break up mucus, relieve nasal congestion, calm spasmodic coughs, soothe irritated pathways, and (best of all) kill the virus itself. You just need to know the best oil to use, and how to use it.
DIY Nasal Roll-On
The Aromatherapist Rosemary Highland and Eucalyptus Globulus essential oils are the perfect combination for battling blocked nasal passages—they help to provide a ‘vapour’ effect, relieving a stuffed up nose and cloudy head.
- 10 ml Jojoba Oil
- 8 drops Rosemary Highland Essential Oil
- 8 drops Eucalyptus Globulus Essential Oil
- 10 ml glass roll-on bottle
- Place your Rosemary Highland and Eucalyptus Globulus drops at the bottom of your empty roll-on bottle.
- Fill the rest of your bottle with Jojoba Oil and shake well.
- To use your Nasal Roll-On, apply it underneath your nostrils and across the sinus area, inhaling deeply.
DIY Chest Balm
This recipe is ideal for stubborn, hardened chest congestion. The Aromatherapist Cold & Flu Blend is specifically designed to help break up mucus and eliminate infection, while assisting the immune system in building up its natural defence.
- Over a double boiler, melt your Shea Butter and Beeswax.
- Add your Jojoba Oil and stir well.
- Remove from heat and add your Cold & Flu Blend, mix thoroughly.
- Transfer your mixture into your jar, secure the lid and allow it to set fully overnight.
- Apply liberally on chest and back. Place a heat pad or hot water bottle overtop to increase the decongestive action of the balm. Relax and take full, deep breaths.
DIY Dry Cough Steam
This steam inhalant recipe has been formulated to provide 3 specific actions simultaneously: (1) combat chest congestion, (2) combat the infection that’s causing the cough, and (3) calm inflammation in the lungs caused by frequent coughing.
- Heat the water to a steaming point and pour into a large bowl. Position your bowl so that you can comfortably sit with your head over it.
- Once you’re ready to begin your steam, add your Cold & Flu Blend and Lavender Highland Essential Oil to the water.
- Create an inhalation tent over your head with a towel and deeply inhale the steam.
- Repeat this process daily until your cough has completely cleared.
Essential oils can also help to strengthen the immune system and stop the spread of cold & flu infections. Try these simple DIYs to stay healthy throughout cold & flu season and all year long.
DIY Disinfectant Spray
The Aromatherapist Thieves Blend follows the recipe given in old perfume texts, allegedly dating back to the days of the plague! It is a very effective antimicrobial.
- Add your Thieves Blend drops directly to your bottle of Rose Bulgarian Hydrosol and shake well.
- To use, spray into the air and directly onto surfaces.
Beyond this spray (and the next recipe), Thieves Blend can also be diffused on its own in your home or office for the same purposes.
DIY Hand Sanitizer
The Aromatherapist Thieves Blend is also the ideal natural antimicrobial for a hand sanitizer. Using a base of Aloe Vera Gel (rather than alcohol, used in many hand sanitizers) will keep your hands from becoming dry and irritated.
- Place your Thieves Blend drops into the bottom of your empty lotion bottle.
- Fill the rest of your bottle with Aloe Vera Gel and shake well.
- Apply your hand sanitizer whenever needed.
DIY Immune Stimulating Massage Oil
A great way to boost immunity and give yourself a hit of caffeine-free energy is by swiping The Aromatherapist Immune Boost Blend across your adrenal glands, encouraging adrenal function.
- Place your Immune Boost drops at the bottom of your empty lotion bottle.
- Fill the rest of your bottle with Jojoba Oil and shake well.
- Massage across your low back after your morning shower, or anytime you’re feeling depleted and rundown.
Immune Boost Blend can also be used in the diffuser to boost immunity through inhalation. Add a few drops to your shower for an immune stimulating steam.
DIY Immune Boosting Bath Salts
What is the #1 thing you need when you’re feeling sick? You guessed it—rest! These bath salts will help to boost your immune system, relax your body, and promote a restful night’s sleep.
- 60 ml Dead Sea Salt
- 10 drops Frankincense Essential Oil
- 15 drops Lavender Highland Essential Oil
- 60 ml glass jar
- In a mortar and pestle (or use a bowl with a spoon), combine your Dead Sea Salt and your essential oils. Ensure the salt and oil have been mixed thoroughly.
- Keep your salts dry and sealed in your jar.
- To use, place 1 heaping tablespoon of bath salts into a warm bath—soak and enjoy!
You may be asking yourself…to DIY or not to DIY? Keep in mind that one 10 ml bottle of an essential oil will make 20-75 batches of product! That’s a lot of fresh, customized, natural products from just one bottle of oil. Visit The Aromatherapist’s product pages to discover all of the different ways you can use each essential oil!
Did you know? Free flu shots are available at all Rexall Drugstore locations across Canada without an appointment. Get yours today!
Bonita is trained as an Herbalist and Aromatherapist. She’s worked in the fields of herbal medicine, organic perfumery and natural skincare for over 30 years. She’s been supplying The Aromatherapist, her line of certified organic essential oils, carrier oils and hydrosols to Canadians since 1993. Bonita lives and works in Guelph, Ontario.