Chia seeds are tiny seeds with a ton of health benefits! They’re full of fibre, minerals, and are a great source of plant-based protein. Here are Sam’s top 5 ways to use chia seeds.
Sam’s Top 5 Ways to Use Chia Seeds:
- Chia Seed Water: To make chia seed water, toss 1-2 tablespoons of chia seeds in your water bottle, add water, and shake! You’ll get added nutrition as you sip all day long – like 40% of your daily fibre, 15% iron and 6 grams of plant-based protein.
- Berry Chia Jam: This chia jam is super easy to make and takes no more than 10 minutes. All you need to do is heat fresh or frozen berries up until they mush together, then move the berries to a small glass jar (mason jars work well) and add 2 tablespoons chia seeds. You can sweeten with maple syrup or agave to keep it refined sugar-free!
- Chia “Eggs”: Chia seeds make a great substitute for eggs in baking. To make chia “eggs”, mix equal parts chia seeds and water (ie. 2 tablespoons chia seeds, 2 tablespoons water) and let it sit until it gets goopy. This is a great option for vegans, vegetarians and people with egg allergies.
- Smoothie Add-In: You can get all the great benefits of chia seeds by adding them to your favourite smoothie. If you don’t like the texture of the full seeds, simply pulse the seeds a few times on their own to break them up. Here is a “Berry Boost” Detox Smoothie Recipe that uses chia seeds.
- In A “Breading“: Use the “chia egg” in place of a regular egg to bread eggplant, chicken, or whatever you’d like to bread. Simply coat it with the chia egg, then roll it in breadcrumbs and bake as usual.
These are just a few of the many ways to use chia seeds. You can also use them in this Chia Pudding Recipe, and the list goes on! Comment below, what is your favourite way to use chia seeds?