20 Ways to Add Hemp Hearts to Your Day + Recipes You Need to Try
If you’re looking for a simple and easy way to boost the nutrition factor in your meals, then hemp is the superfood you need. Just three tablespoons (30 grams) of hemp hearts contain 10 grams of plant-based protein and 12 grams of omegas 3 and 6! That’s 2x more protein and 25% more omegas than an equal 30g serving of chia or flax! And if that wasn’t enough, hemp also contains gamma linolenic acid (GLA), iron, magnesium, fibre, iron, zinc and phosphorus.
Manitoba Harvest Hemp Hearts are made with one ingredient—Canadian-grown shelled hemp seed—and they can be added to almost anything. Here are 20 ways to add hemp hearts to your day!
20 Ways to Use Hemp Hearts
- Blend with water to make homemade hemp milk
- Sprinkle on your favourite salad
- Use as a crust on chicken or fish
- Blend into any smoothie recipe
- Add to your morning oatmeal
- Bake into any muffin recipe
- Blend with water, lemon juice, and spices for a dairy-free salad dressing
- Add to homemade granola
- Sprinkle on cereal
- Layer with yogurt and berries for a tasty parfait
- Add to homemade energy bars or bites
- Sprinkle on avocado toast
- Add to waffle or pancake batter
- Mix into overnight oats
- Add to homemade veggie burgers
- Add to hummus or guacamole or blend into a pesto
- Blend to make hemp butter
- Sprinkle on your breakfast
- Sprinkle on your lunch
- Sprinkle on your dinner
Chocolate Covered Vegan Rice Crispy Treats
- 1 10 oz bag of vegan mini marshmallows
- ¼ cup coconut oil
- ½ tsp. sea salt
- 6 cups crispy rice cereal
- ¼ cup Manitoba Harvest Hemp Hearts
- 10 oz semi-sweet vegan chocolate chips
- ¼ cup coconut milk
- 3 tbsp. Manitoba Harvest Hemp Hearts
- Line a 9×9” baking pan with parchment or wax paper.
- Melt together marshmallows, coconut oil and sea salt using microwave in 20 second intervals or on stove using a double boiler.
- Gently stir in cereal and Manitoba Harvest Hemp Hearts until evenly coated.
- Press mixture into lined pan then let cool.
- Melt chocolate and coconut milk using microwave in 10-20 second intervals or on stove using a double boiler.
- Pour melted chocolate glaze over Treats, spread into an even layer and immediately sprinkle with Manitoba Harvest Hemp Hearts.
- Let cool, lift bars out of pan by paper, then cut into 16 squares.
Spinach Quinoa Hemp Bites
- 1 cup uncooked quinoa
- 2 cups vegetable broth
- 1 tsp. olive oil
- 4 big handfuls fresh spinach, chopped
- 1/2 medium onion, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup Hemp Hearts
- 1/8 tsp. garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp. dried oregano
- 1 cup feta, crumbled
- pinch salt and pepper
- 3 eggs, lightly beaten
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- Add the quinoa and vegetable broth to a medium sized pot and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat and simmer for about 15 minutes or until it is cooked and all the liquid has been absorbed. Set aside to cool.
- In a large pan, sauté the onion in olive oil until softened. Then add in the spinach and cook until it’s wilted.
- Add the quinoa to a large bowl and mix in the spinach and onion, Hemp Hearts, garlic powder, oregano, feta, salt and pepper, and eggs.
- Spray a mini muffin pan with cooking spray or grease with coconut oil. Spoon about a tablespoon of the mixture into the pan and press it down with the back of a spoon.
- Bake for 18 to 20 minutes or until it is lightly browned around the edges. Let cool and then remove from the pan using a butter knife. Serve and enjoy!
For recipes, inspiration, and more info on what makes hemp super, visit manitobaharvest.com.
Based in Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada, Manitoba Harvest strives to manufacture the highest quality hemp food products, to educate on the nutritional and environmental benefits of hemp, and to support sustainability in all that they do. When you choose Manitoba Harvest Hemp Foods and Oils, you can be assured of quality and environmentally conscious business practices. They’re proud of what they do and want you to feel good about it, too!